You are here
Granular crude oil storage measurements for key storage locations in China
Receive a granular view into Chinese crude oil inventories, with data available down to the tank-level
In China, the true storage capacity and the amount of crude oil being stored as reserves and for commercial uses has largely remained a mystery. Genscape’s China Crude Oil Storage Report sheds light into the opaque Chinese crude oil market by using optical satellite imagery to provide bimonthly crude oil inventories, with data available down to the tank level.
Genscape’s China Crude Oil Storage Report monitors 23 storage tank locations, accounting for approximately 77 percent of China’s crude storage tank capacity. The product captures areas supplying crude oil to key state and teapot refineries as well as all of China’s Strategic Petroleum Reserve (SPR) tank locations.
In February 2018, Genscape will expand coverage to approximately 97 percent of China’s crude oil storage tank capacity, including commercial reserve terminals and crude oil storage at refinery and petrochemical locations.
Genscape's storage experts have also made preliminary distinctions between crude oil stored for SPR or commercial usage, allowing traders, analysts, and hedge funds to better understand the crude oil demand in China, a crucial factor in rebalancing the oversupply of crude oil in the market.
Patents: U.S. 8,842,874, 8,717,434,8,676,520, CN ZL 201280009294.3
You are here
Features of the China Crude Oil Storage Report include:
- In February, tank-level data will be available for approximately 97 percent of China’s total crude oil tank capacity
- China currently has approximately 1.1 billion bbls of crude storage capacity available in above-ground tanks
- Monitoring all of China’s SPR stored in above ground storage tanks
- Historical data for all terminals dating back to January 2016
- Genscape data on storage terminals released in stages, reaching 35 port/terminal locations over the year
Month-long trial subscriptions include:
- Prior 6 months of historical data available on a month-long trial
- Data file that includes:
- Storage field name
- Owner name
- Report date
- Operational crude oil storage capacity
- Capacity utilization
- Amount of stored crude oil
You are here
Benefits of the China Crude Oil Storage Report include:
- Proven, accurate satellite measurement methodology calibrated to Genscape’s proprietary aerial tank-level measurements
- Within 3 percent of Genscape’s traditional fly-over methods for high resolution imagery
- Within 8.5 percent of Genscape’s traditional fly-over methods for low resolution imagery
- Rigorous research ensures the capture of crude oil storage, not refined products
- Preliminary designations of SPR vs. commercial storage
- In February 2018, we will provide two commercial storage designations, updated semi-annually: commercial petroleum reserves and commercial (operational) storage